This past week, at PeacePlayers International South Africa, saw the beginning of term 2. After a short break from school, it was evident at the games that were hosted this past Friday, that the participants were re-energized and ready for the term ahead.
The games this week, were two separate extravaganzas. One was hosted at Durban High School, an affluent high school in Musgrave, and the other in Umlazi Sports Complex, in the township of Umlazi. The extravaganzas are a great opportunity for more than 2/3 schools to travel outside of their community and experience a new community. At DHS, the schools that participated there were:
- Bantuvukani Primary School – from Lamontville
- Gardenia Primary School- from Wentworth
- Sekelani Primary School – from Umlazi
- Addington Primary School- from City
The games amongst these schools were exciting and full of loud cheering from their teammates. Bantuvakani Primary School girls team proved to be the strongest team there, as they won all the games. The Addington Primary School boys teams also won all their games, and were always cheered on by a improving girls teams.
In Umlazi, the schools that participated there were:
- Sukuma Primary School – from Umlazi
- Excelsior Primary School- from Lamontville
- Carrington Primary School- from Umbilo
- Collingwood Primary School – from Wenworth
This extravaganza was also nothing short of exciting. The games started with fun icebreakers that got all the participants cheering and singing, whilst making new friends. The competition was tight and games ended with close scores.
Overall the extravaganzas were a great success, and have really set the tone for the year.
More upcoming events that will take place this term are as follows:
- The 28th City Wide Tournament – 3 June 2017
- Six participants from PPI-SA will be travelling to Cyprus for the Lead4Peace Camp.
- Leadership Development Programme Career Day
Be sure to look out for upcoming events on the South Africa Facebook page!!